Work Permit - Employment of Minors

Who Needs a Work Permit?

  • A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work.
  • Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.

Where Can I Get a Work Permit? (Options)

  • Rice Lake High School
    • Email Mrs. Groth at [email protected] to set up a date and time to obtain a work permit.
    • Since nobody is allowed in the buildings during this time, Mr. Groth will meet you at the W10 door at your scheduled appointment time.  She will obtain the required  information from  you (see below) and go back into the office to process the permit which takes about 5 minutes. She will then have the minor child sign the permit and you'll be all set.

  • Department of Workforce Development (Across from Marketplace Foods)
    • Knock on the door to get into the building and setup an appointment date and time

What Do I Need to Bring With Me to the Appointment?

  • Original social security card
  • Passport or birth certificate
  • $10 cash
  • Letter from the employer
  • The minor child NEEDS to be present at the time of issuing the work permit

Click Here for more specific information about Work Permits - from the State of Wisconsin